We're recruiting an Operations Manager of our new Code4000 Hub
Operations Manager, Code4000 Hub, Sheffield in partnership with Yoomee
Code4000 is the first programme in the UK and Europe to teach computer coding to prisoners and takes inspiration from The Last Mile - an established prison coding programme that started in San Quentin in the US, but now also runs in several prisons in California
The programme exists to teach people a life-changing skill, computer coding, and get them back into the job market with the aim of reducing reoffending.
Code4000 is a non-profit making Community Interest Company that exists to provide prisoners with enhanced employment opportunities within the Tech industry to help to reduce reoffending by:
- Stage 1: Providing training to prisoners in custody in computer coding skills and professional work skills. (6 months Beginner/Junior Coders and a further 6 months Advanced/Senior Coders).
- Stage 2: Providing practical work experience to Code4000 Senior Coders, in custody, with real life work experience to enhance hard and soft skills and begin to build individual portfolios.
- Stage 3: Providing Code4000 Senior Coders with work experience opportunities whilst on Release on Temporary Licence (ROTL) – to support them in the transitional phase from prison to employment in the community.
- Stage 4: Guiding Code4000 Graduate Coders into employment or in an entrepreneurial endeavour on release. It is envisaged that these released Code4000 Graduate Coders would also act as peer educators and role models to future cohorts and ambassadors for Code4000.
Based in the Code4000 Hub, Sheffield, the job purpose is to manage and develop a team of graduate coders, during daily Release on Temporary License (Rotl) and on release from prison, whilst they complete additional training in hard coding skills and employment skills and work on real jobs to increase their skills and confidence and generate income to underpin the financial stability of the programme.
The Operations Manager will support Code4000 values, aims and objectives in the execution of their duties.
- To supervise the activity of the team and provide a structured place to work and develop coding and employment skills.
- To inspire team members and build a positive culture within the team.
- To manage jobs undertaken by the team, and in conjunction with Code4000 Coders in prison workshop, to ensure they meet the client brief.
- To identify opportunities for employment for coder graduates.
- To identify and recruit volunteers to work with the team to enhance their learning and motivation.
- To promote the work of Code4000 in the community.
- To maintain excellent working relationships with all prison staff, Code4000 staff and other stakeholders.
£24,905 - £27,750 pa
The Regional Manager, North, Code4000 and working with support and direction from partnership Directors, Yoomee.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To manage the daily activities of the team and support them to achieve the skills required for successful future employment.
- To provide regular supervision for team members and maintain accurate records of personal development and objectives.
- To be responsible for the security of the office.
- In conjunction with our partners to manage the successful completion of jobs to meet the client brief.
- Support graduate coders to develop their Portfolios.
- In conjunction with Code4000, Workshop Managers in each prison location to highlight any ideas to develop the learning programme or amendments to the current programme and feed this back to the Curriculum & Volunteer Manager.
- To understand and meet the requirements of HMPPS Rotl requirements.
- To support the effective and robust evaluation of the impact of the programme by ensuring the necessary data is properly collated.
- To develop and maintain positive relations with service users, statutory and voluntary bodies within the local criminal justice arena and raise the profile of Code4000.
- To develop and maintain positive relations with stakeholders; clients, volunteers, key funders, local supporters and prison staff.
- To assist in ensuring that publicity, marketing and public relations support the aims of Code4000 and the fundraising plan.
- Identify opportunities, wherever possible, for local professional volunteers to add value to the programme by delivering training sessions to enhance Coding and work-related skills and job opportunities for Coder Graduates.
- To ensure Code4000 operates within an anti-discriminatory framework, considering: race, gender, sexuality, disability and how these issues impact on prisoners and other stakeholders.
- Hosting websites and web based applications
- End to end software development and project management
- Gathering client requirements and turning these into functional applications in an agile fashion
- Working in partnership and developing collaborative arrangements
- Maintaining excellent working relationships with stakeholders and partners
- Problem solving
- Working with offenders
- Building web based applications in either Ruby on Rails or Node.js and/or PHP pushing to production
- Generating business leads and transferring these into paid work
- Managing a small team of developers
- Test Driven Development methodologies
- Bidding Processes for Public Sector expressions of interest (EoIs), call-offs, and calls to tender
- Account Management
- Contributing towards strategic planning
- Working with offenders
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to communicate with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and at different levels of seniority
- Ability to manage and motivate a team
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Understanding of the problems facing men and women in custody and of obtaining employment on release
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence stakeholders
- Good time management
- Self-motivated and resilient
- Commitment to equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice
- Positive mind-set and solution focused
- Proactive, adaptable and able to make decisions
- Able to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Ability to work diplomatically within a host organization
- Desire for others to achieve success
- Motivational and positive
- Full, clean driving license and use of a vehicle
This role has no specific closing date, so it could close at any time. Please apply as soon as possible by sending your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable to firstname.lastname@example.org